Sunday, December 2, 2012

I love Santa....problem?

A friend of mine posted a status on Facebook about Santa. He and I disagree on this subject, and that's okay. But someone else posted a comment that says this: 
"How can you lie to a child of god their whole life?? & im sorry if this makes some of yall mad its the truth my daughter knw that lien is a sin & God dnt like when we sin so why start your childs life with SIN? and yes it is a sin to tell then santa brought the gift!!" 

Alright, first of all, kids don't believe in Santa forever. They grow out of it.

Second of all...I really hate when people say things like this. Why? Because:
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" - John 8:7

According to the Bible, everyone sins. Everyday. We sin when we're lazy. We sin when we eat too much. We sin when we want sex, etc.

I am NOT a Bible thumper. So, don't freak out and think that I'm about to start throwing verses at you. My only reason for mentioning it was because, one assumes that when someone, who claims to be Christian, is speaking about God and sin then they are using the Bible as their source. I simply HATE when people point out everyone elses "sins"

And furthermore, I do NOT believe Santa is a sin. I was raised in a very Christian family. I always knew the real reason for celebrating Christmas. But we were also allowed to believe in Santa. Why? Because it made us feel good. It was exciting. It was fun. It helped us build our imaginations. It's offensive for someone to tell me that doing this is a sin. I'd like for you to show me just where in the Bible it says this? People can raise their own kids however they like, but my daughter WILL be allowed to believe in Santa. You can call me a sinner, that's cool. Cause I am. So are you. But NOT because of Santa. 

So you go right ahead and explain to your poor child that Santa doesn't exist. But while you're at it, make sure you never read them fairytales or let them watch anything that isn't non-fiction. Why? Because children will believe in it all. That is part of their innocence. 

Yes, my daughter will be allowed to believe in Santa. I will allow her to be an innocent child filled with joy every year. 

I've heard the argument that people don't want their kids to resent them for lying to them about Santa. Looking back, I honestly think I would have resented my parents for NOT letting me believe in Santa instead. 

No comments: