Monday, June 10, 2013

It's only Rock & Roll ....a review of Jackie Collins' Rock Star

I have wanted to keep blogging but have found it difficult to find things to write about as I don't really find my life to be  very blog worthy. So, I decided that I would like to start doing reviews. As I rarely watch new TV shows or movies, I thought reviewing books would be an excellent idea (though I'm sure the majority of these books will not be new). So I will start with the book I have just finished.



 It starts in the year 1987.  Kris Phoenix, Bobby Mondella, and Rafealla -- three of the biggest recording artist at the time-- have been asked to perform at the biggest charity event anyone had ever heard of.  The hostest of the event was none other than the love, mysterious Nova Citroen. Unfortunately, they all hate her husband, Marcus Citroen, who just happens to be the major label executive for Blue Cadillac Records -- and their boss. Little do they know that this night will change their lives forever...Maxwell Sicily, son of the infamous mob boss Carmine Sicily, is also attending. And he's planning the heist of a lifetime.

The book flashes back from time to time to tell the individual stories of the three superstars.  Their lives are all intricately woven together throughout the book. Jackie Collins does a marvelous job transitioning between characters and time periods.

This is not the type of book I usually read, but I found it to be very enjoyable. I love the way the author was able to transition between characters. When the book spoke about the goings-on of one character, the writing took on the tone and attitude of that character.

I found a few parts of the book, including the ending, to be a bit predictable but it did not take away from my enjoyment of reading it. I would definitely recommend others read this book. However, it does contain a great deal of profanity (language, sexual and drug content, etc) so if you prefer not to read books that contain such things I do suggest you leave this one alone. I personally was able to get passed the profane language and content and still enjoy the story. After all, it's only rock & roll. :)

Rating: 4/5 Stars

No comments: